Friday, October 3, 2014

Primal Strips Review

Review of Primal Strips
 
I love these things!
I ordered these vegan jerky strips off pangea online store and was pleased with the quality and taste of these products.
Here you can see all six flavors: mesquite lime,  thai peanut, hot n spicy, teriyaki, Texas bbq, and hickory smoked. 
I bought small sizes so I could try the flavors without wasting any if I didn't like it. 
The first I tried was the teriyaki flavor. I was worried I would hate it, but I enjoyed it emensely. 
Here you can see that there are actually there pieces in this small package. they are pretty filling, so one package could make a meal with some dried fruit if you were hiking, or with a salad or juice at home. These would make great post workout snacks. The teriyaki flavor is slightly sweet, but still salty and tastes like real beef jerky. 
Next I tried the thai peanut flavor. This is one of my favorite flavors. It is salty, sweet, and peanut flavored. I love peanuts in food. I'm not really a peanut butter fan, but I like peanuts mixed in things, like pad thai, peanut dipping sauce, and peanut deserts. 
You can see the texture of the jerky here. It has the same striated texture as non vegan jerky and is chewy but moist. 
The hickory smoked was by far the best flavor. My dad tried it and couldn't tell that it wasn't real beef. He and my brother used to order all kinds of jerky online as well as make their own (the fish jerky was a disaster).  You could say that he is a jerky pro. He really liked it and told me to send some to my brother for his birthday. This will convert any meat eater to vegan jerky. 
This is what it looks like fresh out of the package. 
Here's the Texas bbq flavor. As you can see, there is a lot of protein (10 grams) per serving, but also a lot of salt (over 300 mg). If you eat a lot of salt, this won't seem salty. If you don't eat much salt, drink a lot of water after you eat these.
I didn't like it as much as the hickory smoked or the teriyaki but it was still pretty good. It was a little sweeter than the hickory smoked and not as peppery. I still liked it.
I loved the texture of the hot and spicy jerky but I did not like the taste at all. It was a very dense and compact texture for this jerky. I'm not sure what I didn't like about the taste. It was spicy, which I liked, but not quite "right".
Here you can see the jerky by itself. 
This was the worst of them all. It tasted horrible and the texture was a little funky. It was like Mexican jerky. Not real Mexican jerky but like fake Tex-Mex Mexican jerky. I really didn't like it.
Here you can see the funky texture of this Jerkey.

I repurchased the Thai peanut, Texas bbq, and teriyaki. I recommend those flavors but not the others. 

They are 99 cents per serving. I bought these at Pangaea vegan store online. 

Over all, 4/5 
3 fantastic, 2 good/ok, and 1 horrible

No comments:

Post a Comment