Friday, May 9, 2014

Walk to Mordor Week 24

Update: Walk to Mordor Week 24

It has been forever since I updated my Walk to Mordor. I apologize for that, but I'm making up for it now. I'm slowly working my way through the math and I'm filling out the charts for the weeks I have missed. So you will soon be getting a plethora of Mordor updates.

Because these were so long ago, I can't remember exactly what I did each of these weeks, so they will be followed by a ramble about Middle-earth or whatever I feel like talking about that day. I hope you enjoy these updates and have fun seeing how far I have come in this journey.

Week #___24___ Day __13-14_____ WTR Goals: Mileage___20___ Weight __268____

Starting Weight
Current Weight
Goal Weight
Projected Goal Date
Day
 270
 269.4
 175
 2017
13 

Date
Activity
Duration Miles
Beginning Mileage
Ending Mileage
Location*
 3/9
 walk
 1.91
213.44
 215.35
 Day 13 continued
 3/10
 Walk
 7.62
215.35 
 222.97
 
 3/11
 Walk
 2.82
222.97 
225.79 
 
 3/12
 Walk
 1.46
225.79 
227.25 
 
 3/13
 Walk
 1.05
227.25 
228.3 
 
 3/14
 Walk
 1.56
 228.3
229.86 
 Reach foot of Weather Hills and camp there. Day 14  Follow path south toward Weathertop: path is cunningly hidden and is edged with stones where land is open. Sam recites part of The Fall of Gil-galad.
 3/15
 walk
 1.25
229.86 
231.11 
 
Totals
 This week:
 17.67
 Total:
 231.11
 

I didn't walk as much as I wanted to this week, but I still did pretty well. I wanted to include the song Sam sings because it is really cool.

Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing;
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.


This is only part of the song because Sam didn't feel like memorizing the whole thing, but you get the gist of what the rest must have sounded like. I love these kind of songs that tell tales. There is a folk song I once heard about a woman who found out her husband was cheating on her so she cut off his head and stuck it on the battlements. It has something like 30 verses to tell the tale. I think it would be awesome to have songs written about cool things I did. (It probably wouldn't be that awesome: She sat in gridlock everyday/ as she drove across the long causeway./ Nothing could stop the horrible sound/ of the car ahead with radio turned loud. Yeah not so awesome. I had to try.)

I love that Tolkien included these kind of songs and lays into the story to keep that oral tradition of the Old English poetry alive.

I'll post again tomorrow, peeps! I'm going to go enjoy the downpour outside by reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment