Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Earth Balance Mac and Cheese Review

 
I like to think that I know a lot about macaroni and cheese. Before I went vegan, max and cheese held me together in college, helped me wallow in my problems when I was sad, and made good days even better. From my mom's eggy cheesey mac with breadcrumbs, to smoked gouda mac at my cousin's wedding, velveeta mac in the morning, and easy mac at midnight, a combination of pasta and cheese product was on the menu nearly every day.

Ingredients for the mac n cheese

Since going vegan, it was impossible to find vegan mac and cheese at the store (the exception being Amy's in the frozen section) so when I saw this at Pangaea, I bought it.
 
Like regular Mac and Cheese, you cook it, add a fat (earth balance) and a dairy substitute liquid (unsweetened coconut milk), then throw in the cheese packet and stir away. It takes about 20 minutes total to cook.
 
The tiny noodles are long like many boxed mac mixes.
Now, the taste... it's saltier than I like, but most processed foods are. I like it. It doesn't taste like real cheese or even e-z-mac cheese, but it is a pretty darn good imitation. If I served this to my non-vegan dad, he could tell it is vegan. But for a vegan missing Mac and Cheese, this is a godsend!
 
Next time I would use less earth balance spread and a little less coconutmilk. It was a little runny, and my like thicker sauce.
 
Earth Balance... Normally I would use a quarter this amount.
About three hours after I ate it, my stomach decided it didn't like all that fat (I eat a pretty low fat diet mostly, even if it looks like I only eat junk food on this blog). I ended up having to take an alkaseltzer to calm down my stomach. Because of that, I most likely will not be buying this again soon.
 
Coconut milk!
3 out of 5 stars
The powdered cheese. There was a good bit in there and it wasn't a horribly unnatural color.
Stay tuned for more reviews of my recent vegan purchases!

No comments:

Post a Comment