Sunday, August 17, 2014

Wild Unknown Tarot Review

Review of the Wild Unknown Tarot


I've now had the Wild Unknown Tarot in my possession for several months and I feel like I can do a pretty in depth review of the cards. You can check out my first impressions of the deck here.


What is the Wild Unknown Tarot?
This tarot is a nature based tarot deck of 78 cards by artist Kim Krans. This deck comes with a double sided instruction sheet with key words and blurbs about each suit in the minor arcana and the archetypes of the major arcana. This deck is unique in it's sparing use of color amidst a black and while color pallet and the use of flora and fauna as the sole occupants of the deck. There are no humans in this deck.

The Box
What I Love:
  • The use of color: The black and white ink drawings with hints of color allow the colors to really pop and take on more meaning than if they were completely saturated. The use of specific colors on specific cards is ingenious and causes the cards to completely capture a mood.
  • Aesthetically Pleasing: I find this deck incredibly gorgeous and extremely easy to look at. It is highly detailed, but clear in the depiction of the picture, allowing for easy, quick reading and in depth meditation. 
  • Nature Based: This entire deck is based on the animal kingdom and the meanings draw on symbolism typically known throughout literature. For example, owls are wise and therefore make up the court cards for the suit of swords (the suit of action and intellect) as well as the element of air (bird).
  • Human Free: Completely devoid of humans, the animals and plants become the focus on the deck. Instead of trying to figure out the emotion on a tiny depiction of a man's face, animal body language can be read to more fully understand the cards.
  • The Box: This is a collector's dream box. It is sturdy, elegant, and includes a black wide ribbon for easy card removal. The inside of the lid reads: Welcome to the wild unknown tarot. You'll find no wrongs or rights inside this box, only mirrors for reflection. Open your mind, draw a card, & have fun on your journey.
  • The Cheat Sheet: This double sided sheet contains key words for each card (2 for the minor arcana, 3-4 for the major arcana) and explanations for the suits.
  • Reversible Back: The card back is a beautiful hand drawn diamond pattern that resembles the cross section of a pine tree. It is easy to read reversals if you wish.
  • High Quality Cardstock: The cards are very thick and durable, coated in a matte finish, and a nice size to see the quality of the images.
Inside the box lid

What I Didn't Like:
  • Shipping: Because I ordered it in the winter, there were shipping delays due to weather, so it took my order twice as long as I expected for it to arrive.
  • Size of the Deck: Because the cards are so thick, the deck is quite thick, causing me to have problems shuffling the cards since I have small hands.
  • The Cheat Sheet Contains No Reversals: I like reading reversals in my cards and this sheet does not contain reversals. This is easily remedied by simply using the opposite of the written meaning, but a thesaurus might be necessary for that to happen if you aren't completely familiar with the cards or the description words she uses. I find it strange that there aren't reversals listed on the cheat sheet, since the backs are reversible.
Front of the "cheat sheet"
Cost: $40 plus shipping from TheWildUnknown.com

Guide Book: Not included with deck. $20 on TheWildUnknown.com. 200 pages. Black and White.
I did not buy this book, but I probably will in the future to further my understanding of the cards.

How I use the cards:
I use these cards mostly for daily card drawings. I find them full of symbolism and meaning that is perfect for daily meditation and thought. I do not read these daily draws with reversals.
Back of the "cheat sheet"

My favorite cards:


The Fool (0): Innocence, naivety, spontaneity, starting out. Here you can see the adorable duckling about to take a step off the branch. The pop of yellow color in the background is reminiscent of dawn (another "starting out") and the gaiety of the blossoms on the branch continues the theme of youthful innocence and beginning. This card is a very positive take on the fool. There is still that feeling of expectation that we get knowing that there is empty space before the hapless baby, but it is not a sense of impending doom, but of new exciting adventures.


The Magician (I): Action, self-empowerment, purpose. I love that she uses a leopard for the magician. There is something inherently magical about this card. The infinity symbol on the cat's chest is also a lovely touch.


The Empress (III): The mother, sensuality, creation, nature. We have a gorgeous oak with fiery pink leaves at night. This card is feminine and embodies an inner peace that is present in the creative nature of the outdoors. Trees are some of my favorite plants, so this card has an even more special place in my heart.


The Hierophant (V): Mentor, working within the system. Probably my favorite card in the deck. I love the flash of colored lightning hitting the key as well as the crow himself, crying out from his perch on the key. This card if full of energy and action.


Wheel of Fortune (X): Destiny, fate, change of course. This card is epic on so many levels. The medicine wheel/ dream catcher of colored threads (threads of fate?) binding the world together is stunning. I also love that the stars, moon, and sun are all included with this wheel, as well as the owl watching over all.


Death (XIII): Necessary ending, closure, transformation. The circle of life is represented brilliantly in this card as this bird decomposes and is ending this section of life. The transformation happens as it slowly returns back to the earth.


Temperance (XIV): Healing, renewal, balance. I really just like this card because it has a great blue heron in it.


V of Swords: self destruction. I got this card a lot when I first started using this deck. The worm reminds me of one of my favorite line in psalms: But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised by the people. (Psalm 22:6) Sometimes when I am feeling particularly depressed, I get into a cycle of negative thinking that is incredibly self destructive. This helps me to remember to step back and see the bigger picture. I am not a worm. I don't need to only view the world from ground level. I can look at it from many more angles.


IX of Swords: nightmares, anguish. I find this card creepily beautiful. It is rotten and disgusting and the stuff of nightmares, but also still a part of the natural cycle.

Mother of Swords: experienced, all-seeing. I have a thing for snowy owls. I have a huge print of two snowy owls on my wall and I made one out of socks in fourth grade for a school project. Krans did a spectacular job of getting the facial expression right on this card. I feel like this owl is staring into my soul and through me into the future. Such a great sword card.


VI of Pentacles: prosperity and growth. The pentacles are berries growing on a branch. How much better can imagery get? This card immediately screams growth and health to me. I feel like I can really connect to this card's message without having to dig too deeply.


VI of Wands: Victory, rising up. What could be more victorious than a butterfly rising up out of the brambles, a butterfly flying to the sky. It is free of its cocoon and has faced the world and won. The coloring on this butterfly is stunning as well.


VI of Cups: Memories, childhood. Our roots. Our past. Our treasured memories. The colorful roots deep in the ground are the foundation for this mighty tree reaching up to the heavens. The roots give it life and keep it firmly on the ground, just like our own histories. Some memories might be better than others or have a different place in our hearts, ergo the different colors.

The backs of the cards.

Overall Rating: 4.75/5
If this were a little bit easier for me to hold in my hands, I would have given it a 5/5 rating. This is my first deck and it will always have a special place in my heart. I highly recommend this deck.

1 comment:

  1. This is my first deck too! But I don't know why my set had not included the cheat sheet :(

    ReplyDelete