Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Universal Waite Tarot Review

Universal Waite Tarot Review

The Universal Waite Tarot
After I got my first tarot deck, The Wild Unknown Tarot (you can see my review here), I decided I needed to get a Rider Waite Smith deck so I could get the basics of tarot down before I started getting confused. I went to the store and picked this one up since I like the coloring a little better than the "Original" Rider Waite.

The Universal Waite Tarot- cards
What is the Universal Waite?

This 78 card deck is a recoloring of the Rider Waite deck by Mary Hansen-Roberts. It was first published in 1990. It comes in regular, pocket, and tiny size.

The Front of the Box (it was a little banged up when I got it) showing the fool.
What I love:
  • Size- the size of the cards are just small enough that I can hold the cards longways in one hand. I have small hands and I find many tarot decks too hard to hold so I end up spilling them all over the floor or table when I work with them. 
  • Watercolor-like artwork: I believe the cards are actually done with colored pencils, but they have a watercolor-esque quality to them that is visually pleasing. The colors are soft, but not muted, bright but not harsh.
  • Reversible card backs: for easy reversal readings.
  • Easy to shuffle- because of the size of the cards and the shiny coating, these cards are ridiculously easy to shuffle. I love having them in my hands and feeling their energy.
  • Good deck to learn meanings with: this deck is perfect for learning meanings. The drawings are simple, the meanings are straightforward, and the size is good for easy reading.

The Back of the Box, showing the Empress.
What I hate:
  • Pictures aren't quite crisp: there is a blurriness to these cards that makes me feel like I have fingerprints on my glasses. I can't tell if this is a printing quality issue, or an issue with the original drawings, but I feel like I'm looking through a slight fog or haze when I am reading these cards.
  • the little white book... it's useless: It basically repeats word for word the definitions found in The Pictoral Key to the Tarot (see below), but without giving much background information, so the words are nearly meaningless unless you understand the convoluted writing style of the book. I use the Galaxy Tarot free android app to help jog my memory for cards I can't quite remember and I find that their wording is easier to understand.

The Back of the Cards (reversible and sleek design)
Cost: Regular $20 (Pocket $18, Tiny $7) I bought it in a set with the book The Pictoral Key to the Tarot by Arthur Waite (and a card spread sheet) for around $30 with a discount from Barnes and Noble. The book is 340 pages black and white illustration. It cost $9.95 by itself or you can find it online for free at the SacredTexts.com. It is a nice book to have for the historical aspect of the cards, but as a tool to help with understanding the meanings it is relatively useless because the wording is tricky and dense. You can read my more in-depth review of the book here on Shelfari.

The LWB (little white book) of uselessness.
Guidebook: See above

My favorite cards:
Death
 
 
This is One of my favorite cards. The imagery on this card is so beautiful. I love that you can see Death coming to the king, child, a woman, and the bishop or pope as equals because death is the great equalizer. The red eyes on the horse are also a lovely touch.
 
Queen of Pentacles
 
 
The proliferation of green growing things in this card is lovely. I love the queen's facial expression and the details of the pears on her throne.
 
 Ace of Cups
 
 
The baptism symbolism with this card is amazing: the dove (Holy Spirit) bringing the Host (Jesus) to the cup overflowing with water (baptism and Eucharist, water into wine, etc.), the hand reaching down from heaven (God)... the list goes on and on. This is a seriously great card to look at and draw.
 
World
 
 
Again, the symbolism in this card is beautiful: the ox/bull, lion, eagle, and man (the four gospel writers mentioned in revelation), the infinity symbols tied around the world, the woman holding staves, and more. 
 
Wheel of Fortune
 
 
This card is related to the World. The Tetragrammaton, the gospel writers, and the sphinx all have wonderful meanings and the idea of "fate" is readily abundant on this card. 
 
IX of Swords
 
 
I pulled this card a lot when I first got this deck. It nails that feeling of horrible fear, depression, and night terrors. The oppressive and solitary nature of this card also slaps me in the face. I love the feeling of this card.
 
VI of Cups
 
 
The happy feeling of childhood memories infuses this card. Happy nostalgia and childish happiness is evident and prominent. I love the young girl's face. She looks excited about the flowers.
 
Judgement
 
 
The final judgment of the earth, the re-awakening of the dead, signs, and rebirth are what this card is all about. The angel's wings draw me to this card. The pink and purple colors are scarce in this card, and make this card special and otherworldly.
 
III of Cups
 
 
This is a silly reason to love this card, but it reminds me of my two friends. We always joked that we were the blonde, the brunette, and the redhead. It works because this is a card of friendship, but I see my friends Sara and Ashley every time I pull this card.
 
V of Pentacles
 
 
This card reminds me of Christmas and the stories of the poor shut out in the cold. The stained-glass window is lighted from the inside, and leaks warmness to those shut out to the cold. The alienation inherent in this card is made even more poignant as the scene in the window is of a green, growing, warm fruit bearing tree.
 
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot came with my deck in the set at the store.
Overall: 4.5/5
I like the size and feel of this deck as well as the recolored artwork. I do not like the LWB and I recommend buying another guidebook or app for card reading when first learning this deck. Overall, I love working with this deck and find it very accurate and easy to read.
 
This Celtic Cross Spread Sheet also came with the kit. I've only used it once and did not find it very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment