Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Leaving Bag End and Walking Down the Path

Day 2 of my Walk to Mordor and I can already tell you that my feet hurt. I don't know how those hobbits did it without shoes!
(Path Through the Yard... it reminded me of the hobbits going through the woods!)

I decided to walk in my neighborhood on the roads I used to bike as a child. I don't normally go past my street, so it was eye opening to see the changes in the landscape. There were empty lots where there used to be houses and manicured lawns where there used to be trees. It was strange, but nice
.
Of course, it was overcast and gloomy for this first day of October. The humidity was a little overbearing, but there was a great breeze when I got close enough to the lake to feel it.

I kept thinking about the hobbits on their journey and what they must have been thinking passing all the places and people they knew as they journeyed into the unknown world. They were probably not thinking about the way a neighbor's Doberman kept staring at me as I walked past it twice, or the several people that waved to me as they drove past. Overall it was a great walk.

After about a half mile, my feet began to hurt. I, of course, did not turn back like a normal human being would. I kept walking and watching the little line move as the GPS on my phone tracked where I was going. I am such a nerd! I LOVE MAPS! After I made it back home, I walked in the yard for a bit before heading inside into the glorious coolness of the air-conditioning and a glass of water.
I meandered for 41 minutes and 12 seconds and walked a whopping 1.84 miles. (Hey! It's more than yesterday!)

Total distance walked: 2.24 miles
Total time walked: 51 minutes 27 seconds
In Middle Earth I've now left the lane and I'm following the hedgerow to the South! I'm making progress! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment