Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Being A New Vegan

Hello again and welcome to the wonderful world of Marjorie.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, so my family went out to eat for lunch. I haven't mentioned it before on this blog, but I recently decided to become vegan. I started out in April, but I had a few really bad slip-ups, so I count myself as being a vegan since July. I feel so much better after taking animal products out of my diet. I used to eat dairy at every meal. I didn't realize how much I was eating until I stopped eating it. It was A LOT.

My favorite foods to make at the moment are:

1. Angel hair pasta with tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, olive oil, and Cajun seasoning.
2. Black beans, brown rice, medium salsa, olives, daiya mozzarella shreds on top of spring mix.
3. Hummus and sweet potato chips (favorite snack).

My favorite foods to eat at restaurants:

1. Vegan black bean burger (if they have it)
2. Salads (without the cheese, meat, and oil and vinegar dressing on the side)
3. Mushroom burgers (without cheese and not grilled in butter)

It can be a challenge to find foods at restaurants, but some places (Like Applebee's, Long Horn Steakhouse, etc.) will even charge you less if you take the meat off your order. Many salads can be made vegan by taking off the meat, cheese, and/or egg and substituting oil and vinegar for the dressing. Also, there are usually appetizers that can come with celery or carrots (like the chicken wings at Applebee's) so you can eat those if someone orders that for an appetizer. Smaller restaurants can be harder. Most of the foods here are doused in cream sauces and topped with fried oysters (that's what you get living so close to the coast) so it can be tricky. If you order grilled veggies, ask if they are made with butter, because they usually are. Same thing with mashed potatoes and grilled sandwiches and buns.

Yesterday I ended up with a veggie wrap (it was delicious) and sweet potato fries. Sadly, all their deserts were milk based, so I couldn't have any. It was a great birthday meal for my mom though.

I went back to Koko FitClub with Meagan today and afterwards she took me to this great smoothie place/ restaurant called the Nutrition Company. It was one of those places that you walk in and you think,  "fit and healthy people must come here". They had a dizzying number of smoothies to choose from and teas, juices, coffees, shakes, snacks, breakfast foods, and real foods to stare at as well. I got this tropical storm smoothie and I'm not sure if I liked it. It had some sort of protein powder or something in it with a slight grassy/ fake aftertaste that I did not care for, but the main flavor of the smoothie was great. It was mango-y and kiwi-y and strawberry-y and perfection!  I think I'll try the peanut butter one next time to see if the stronger flavor would cover that protein-y taste. Or maybe a juice. I kinda want to go through the whole menu and try everything just to see what it tastes like!

I wandered around my yard for a bit and found some great flowers I wanted to share with you.

 
 
 
I also found some blue jay feathers on the ground. It looked like they had gotten into a fight. They were really beautiful.


And... our lemon tree has fruit on it this year! First time! Hopefully they will be yummy. We'll need a ladder to pick them!


I only walked a little bit yesterday because I had ballet class and was tired, but today I walked a bit around the yard and did the elliptical machine at Koko. 

Yesterday: .08 Miles in 2:04 Minutes
Today: 1.15 Miles in 24:23 Minutes
Total: 5.62 Miles in 2:11:17 Minutes
Where I am in middle earth: I have crossed the Great Road from the Brandywine Bridge and I have entered Tookland. I found out from Meagan today that she is catching up to me! I felt a little bad for leaving her behind, but I'm sure she'll be out-walking me soon! 

Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment