Sunday, July 13, 2014

Trip to North Carolina Summer 2014 Part Two

Part Two: June 27- 30

(NOTE: I'm having problems with my pictures going where I want, so they all got stuck at the bottom of the post. )

Picking up where I left off, Friday night I made pasta using the rest of that really good Muir Glen pasta sauce. I also used some of my Go Veggie! Vegan Cream Cheese, which turned out to be chive and garlic flavored. I put it on some toast made from roasted garlic bread from Ingles. I really wish we had Ingles in Louisiana. Their bread has gotten much better recently.

Saturday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn because I had forgotten to close my curtains all the way and my room got brighter earlier than I wanted. I somehow managed to roll out of bed and make it downstairs for a breakfast of leftover pasta from the night before and more of that awesome garlic bread with cream cheese slathered on top. I put some Go Veggie! Pepperjack vegan slices crumbled up in the pasta and it made it a bit spicier.

It rained in both the morning and afternoon, but my mom and I ended up going shopping at Wal-Mart, The Fresh Market, and the local pet store. I got a few new pairs of exercise capris since the ones that I had bought a few years ago are starting to fall apart, and there are only so many times you can sew up the holes before they become more patches than original fabric. I also got some tanks and skirts (in colors besides black, my fashion conscious friends would be proud) because they were loose and cool looking and so very soft. I also found a double DVD in the electronics section of the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes and A Game of Shadows. I had never seen them before (my mom isn't a big fan of RDJ and she won't usually see movies he's in, and I rarely go to the movies without my parents or my friend Rei, who is a movie buff). I LOVED these movies. They were very different from many of the more traditional Holmes films, but they stayed very true to the spirit and details of the stories. It was the little things: Sherlock's favorite opera being Don Giovanni, the crazy disguises and chases through London, and Moriarty's general genius level creepiness. They were super action packed, so if that isn't your thing, you might not like these. But, then again, if you don't like action, you won't like any Holmes stories because they are action packed at their cores.

Lunch was pretty exciting too: Vegan grilled cheese and another one of those Tasty Bite pouches called Mushroom Lo Mein. It bas better than the other one, but not much. I think I'll just stick to making my own pasta sauces in the future.

Dinner was udon noodles topped with tofu and mushrooms in a soy, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and olive oil sauce with garlic.

Desert was Maranatha Raw Almond Butter with 2 small bananas and agave nectar. One of the best vegan deserts ever!

Sunday morning I awoke and immediately hit my head on the headboard. It hurt, but I shook it off and ate my leftover tofu mushroom awesomeness on olive bread with pepper jack vegan cheese by Go Veggie! It was ridiculously good. The tofu had marinated overnight and tasted heavenly.

I didn't do much during the day. Mostly reading, playing ukulele, and working on some future blog posts. Another rainy day, so no hiking.

Lunch was stir-fry over the rest of the udon noodles. I started with water chestnuts and tofu and added red bell pepper, celery, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, and sesame oil.

It poured down rain after lunch and into the afternoon. I spent the afternoon and evening reading some short stories I had downloaded a while ago onto my kindle. I really love all those free ebooks that are available for download. Over Halloween they had this book called The Eclective: A Haunted Collection that is a collection of short stories of the spooky, creepy, ghostly, or frightening variety. I finished reading it right before bed... not a good idea. I kept thinking that the sound of ice settling in my water glass was a ghost trying to get me. Yeah... no ghost stories before bed for Marjorie.

Dinner was leftover veggies and tofu from lunch on olive bread with pepper jack vegan cheese.

Monday dawned overcast and grey. I made a grilled cheese for breakfast with Go Veggie! cheddar slices, olive oil, and oatmeal bread. I also finished off a bag of the Kettle Brand Maple Bacon chips. These things are amazing! I had heard about them online, but I hadn't seen them in stores. They taste like a better version of the Lays BBQ flavor of chips, but they aren't as greasy and they don't make my stomach hurt. And the best thing about them? They are VEGAN!!!

After breakfast, my mom and I went shopping in downtown Hendersonville. Our first stop was Gypsy Heart. I love this shop. I've been going there for years and I've gotten so many amazing products there including my first singing bowl, purses, shirts, dresses, jewelry, wall hangings, and candles. This trip I got this really awesome wall hanging with a red dragon surrounding a celtic cross. I love it for so many reasons. First, red is my favorite color. Second, dragons are the coolest mythical creature I can think of. I love dragon lore and fiction centered around dragons. Third, it had a celtic cross. I love celtic knot work. I love crosses. I love celtic crosses. I love celtic crosses with knot work and dragons!

I also got a really nice necklace and earing set for less that $20. It is teal and silver so it will match my new skirts I got from Wal-mart. After Gypsy Heart, we went to the tea shop next door and got some herbal teas. A few more stops down the street let us find the coffee press my mom was looking for and some more clothes for my mom. After a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up some snacks and milk, we went home.

I was so excited to find veggie spring rolls and veggie sushi with brown rice at the store. I ate them for lunch with my almond butter, banana, agave nectar concoction. At the store I found Amy's Vegan Mac n Cheese. I can't wait to try it (I'll probably eat it for dinner sometime in the next week).

No comments:

Post a Comment