Tuesday, July 22, 2014

DIY Fingernail Polish Using Eyeshadow

This tutorial is pretty easy, but has the potential for mess if you aren't too careful. My tip is to not do it over a white shirt or really nice clothes that might stain.

Quick Note: None of the products I used in this post are cruelty free. I am trying to use up my non-cruelty free products and didn't bring any cruelty free eyeshadows with me this summer. The polishes are also not cruelty free (I'll talk more about them in my upcoming haul post).

What you need:
an eyeshadow
a bobby pin or tweezers (something to crush the eyeshadow with)
a small container to mix the polish in
clear fingernail polish
top coat
nail polish remover
cotton rounds/ pads or q-tips

Step one: choose an eyeshadow and scrape a bit of it into your small container. I'm using half of a container that held my trial size dental floss. (This is what I'm talking about when I say that I don't throw things away because I recycle them. Everything has a purpose!) I use about a teaspoon's worth of powder for both hands... you just have to eyeball it. If the shadow is really pigmented, you will need less than a shadow with little pigmentation. Also, shadows with lots of fillers will make you have a grittier texture.

I chose to mix two different colors this time, but one works just as well.
This is the amount you want. I hope you can tell scale from the hair pin... it is one or the large ones, not a small one.
Step two: pour a little bit of clear nail polish into the container and mix. Slowly add a bit more and mix until smooth.

Mix until smooth!
Step three: QUICKLY paint nails! It dries very fast because it is in contact with the air over a greater surface area.

First layer was slightly see though.
Step four: add more polish if necessary (if it is getting goupy or drying out too fast), and paint second coat of polish.

Added more polish. Be sure to mix it all together again.
Second layer of polish makes it much more opaque. Excuse the messy painting job.
Step four point five: You need to clean off your brush before you stick it back in the bottle or you will muddy up your clear polish. Take a cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover and carefully clean brush without messing up your nails. Then you can close the bottle of polish.

This is the polish I'm using at the moment.
Step five: wait for nails to dry completely. Watch some YouTube videos while you wait or listen to music.

And this is the Top Coat
Step six: paint a top coat over the nails.

The top coat makes the nails shiny and last longer.
Step seven: Show them off to your friends!

Pink using a blush
I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial! Let me know if you want me to do more nail posts in the future.
Orange using eyeshadow and a blush. You can see the lumps where I didn't crush the eyeshadow finely enough. I don't care that much, but you might, so make sure you crush it up really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment