Monday, November 25, 2013

Simple Lettuce Wrap Recipe

Simple Lettuce Wrap Recipe (Vegan)
 
I've been really enjoying eating lettuce recently. There is something awesome about biting into a crunchy, juicy, wholesome piece of lettuce.
 
But it gets tiring chewing salads forever. I started eating lettuce sandwiches again, but then I realized I was eating a LOT of Veganaise and bread. (Not too healthy in the long run!)
 
So I saw some rice spring roll wraps at the store and decided to try making some spring rolls. I had never tried making these before a few days ago, but I had eaten rolls like this at Thai restaurants and loved them in the past. They are pretty easy to make once you get the hang of rolling them up and I've been loving them!
 
This is the simplest combination of ingredients I've made of these so far. Other variations will be listed below.
 
Ingredients:
Spring roll wraps
Romaine lettuce
Spring mix or spinach
2 - 3 green onion
Sauce:
Tamari
Chunky peanut butter
Water
 
 
Directions:
Dip spring roll wrap in warm water for 10 seconds to prepare the rice paper. (See packaging for details. Yours might be different).
Lay flat on a plate.
Place handful of spring mix inside a romaine leaf. Add green onion.  Place in 1/3 of wrap.  Fold ends in gently and roll the wrap so it is tight.  Place on a clean plate.  Repeat.  Do not let the wraps touch. They will stick to each other and rip when you pull them apart.
 
 
Make sauce: Mix 2 spoons of chunky peanut butter and soy sauce. 
 
 
Heat in microwave for 15 seconds. Add water to make it thinner.
 
 
Dip wraps in sauce. Eat.
 
 
Other ingredient ideas: cucumber, tofu, carrot, basil, mint, cellophane noodles
 
 
I usually eat 6 or so as a meal. If using tofu, you probably only want to eat 4.
Let me know what you think of this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment