Sunday, April 6, 2014

Makeup Products I Have Used Up in March 2014

Product Empties March

Good Day Everybody!

I decided to make these monthly posts so you all can follow along with me as I use up products in my makeup collection. I also realized that I should probably take some pictures of the products so you can know what they look like. The numbering is a continuation of last month's products since I am still in the same no-buy/ project ten pan/ project however-many-it-takes-to-use-up-stuff pan.

Since I did a lot of traveling in the end of February and beginning of March, I used sample sized products more often than I normally do. I also used up a whole heck of a lot of non-cruelty free products and non-vegan products, so I'm making good headway in my goal to purge my collection of non-vegan products.

* denotes cruelty free
** cruelty free but parent company is not
v vegan product
Bold denotes product I will repurchase


13. Juicy Couture: Couture LaLa Malibu Eau de Toilette Spray .05 Fl oz (sample)

Couture LaLa Malibu and Journey Packaging
I used this sample (from a Birchbox, I think) while I was in NYC visiting Sara. I love the scent of most Juicy Couture products and I really wish they were vegan because I would wear them all the time. This eau de toilette smells like "sparkling mandarin" with "sweet pink sugar" that is supposed to embody the playfulness of Malibu. I will not repurchase.

14. Archive Relaxing Revitalizing Conditioner Green Tea and Willow 1 oz (sample from hotel)

 
I had trouble finding information on this brand since it seems to be sold exclusively to hotels and is no longer sold in retail. This conditioner was super thick and smelled great, but didn't do too much for my hair. Because my hair is long, there was only enough product for two uses when I stretched it by adding water to the bottle. From what I read, these products seem to be made with the goal of full recycling ability for the packaging and wrappers. I have no idea if they are cruelty free or vegan.

15. Journey by Harvey Prince (sample fragrance)*

 
I really liked this fragrance. It has notes of Indonesian Clove Bud, Australian Sandalwood, Moroccan Rose, French Bergamot, Indian Tuberose, Japanese Orange Flower, Lebanese Cedarwood, Turkish Cyclamen, South African Freesia. The website claims the products to be cruelty-free. I'm not planning on repurchasing this fragrance because it is too complex a scent for me for everyday.
 

16. L'eau Serge Lutens  Eau de Parfum .03 Fl oz (sample)

 
I got this sample about three years ago in a birchbox and I fell in love with the scent. It is a really romantic clean linen scent that clings to your skin for hours. One spritz of this is really all you need. I saved it for special occasions because it was so decadent and too expensive for me to justify buying a full size version of this product. Serge Lutens is owned by Shisedo, a company that condones animal testing.
17. CVS Lavender Epsom Salts

 
I use Epsom salts in my baths after strenuous ballet classes or workouts. They help me relax and soak my sore muscles. I like the lavender scent well enough (it is much  better than the chamomile green tea scented salts in my other product post) but it fades almost immediately.
You can see the giant rip in the bottom of the pouch... not a good thing when the packaging rips!
 
18. Bausch and Lomb Biotrue Contact solution 10 fl oz
 
 
Again, I am still using this product even though it is not cruelty free or vegan friendly. I have only found one or two brands of cruelty free contact solution online and I'm worried about trying something new that may not agree with my contacts and have to pay a bunch of shipping costs for a product I won't like. Maybe I'll become braver in the future and try them out.
 
19. Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Intense Moisturizing Treatment *
 
 
This is one of my favorite brands of intensive treatments or hair masks that I've ever used. It makes my hair super soft and silky and leaves my hair smelling wonderfully for several days. I only used this product once every week or two and it lasted for several months. I love the argan oil scent in this line of products. I will not repurchase this because it is not vegan.
 
20. Secret Scent Expressions Invisible Solid in Ooh-la-la Lavender
 
 
I've been using this scent or other scents in the scent expressions line of Secret Deodorants for several years. I like the smells of these deodorants and antiperspirants and they really help keep body odor away throughout the day. They also do not stain clothes like some other solid deodorants I've tried in the past. These are made by Procter and Gamble, a company that tests on animals, so I will not be repurchasing this product.
 
21. Hot Topic Black Glitter Eyeliner 
 
I bought this eyeliner the first time I ever went into a Hot Topic when I was a freshman in college. It is probably the best and blackest pencil eyeliner I ever had and I got it on sale. They don't make these anymore (the eyeliners they sell now are harder and almost painful to apply to the eyelid) so I can't find information on whether or not this product was cruelty free or vegan. I don't believe it was.
 
22. Ulta Legendary Lengths Lengthening Mascara in Jet Black
 
 
This mascara was given to me by my teacher who didn't want it. I liked it enough to keep using it, but it wasn't my favorite mascara. It made my lashes super long, but dried out really quickly. Once it dried out, it made my lashes clumpy instead of lengthy. The brand is not cruelty free, so I will not be buying from them any time soon,
 
23. Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea Shea Enriched Shower Gel 3 fl oz (sample size) **
 
 
I LOOOOOVE sweet pea scented anything. This shower gel was savored until the end of its life because it was such a great scent. I won't be buying it again because B and BW's parent company is not cruelty free.
 
24. Bausch and Lomb Sight Savers Pre-moistened Lens Cleaning Tissues
 
 
I'm pretty sure I got these when I got my first pair of glasses in fifth grade. The copyright date on the box said 1999. Yeah, moving on. I found these in my bathroom drawer when I was cleaning it out and decided to use them up since I've been using my glasses more now that it is pollen season and my contacts have been bothering my eyes. They are individually wrapped pre-moistened little pieces of paper that are supposed to make your glasses cleaner. They work mostly, but aren't the best lens cleaners out there. B and L test on animals so I will not be buying them again.
 
25. Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo for oily/ straight to normal hair 2 oz (sample size)
 
I can truthfully say that I hated this dry shampoo with a passion and only used it once all my other ones were gone. It smelled horrible (like cleaning supplies mixed with rest stop bathroom air freshener and baby powder) and the smell never went away. This product is not worth it at all! Don't buy it! (I think I got this in a birchbox or beauty army sample box). Tresemme is owned by Unilever which tests on animals. I will never buy this again.
 
26. Colgate Luminous Enamel Strengthening Crystal Clean Mint Fluoride Toothpaste 
 
 
I have five or six tubes of toothpaste all being used simultaneously and this is the first one to be used up. It was probably one of my favorite toothpastes because of the taste and how it made my teeth feel. It didn't make them luminous, but they did look clean, which is the point of the product. Colgate-Palmolive tests on animals. I will not be repurchasing this product.
 
27. Bausch and Lomb Biotrue Contact Solution 4 fl oz (sample size) 
 
And my last product is a travel size of the Biotrue contact solution that I took with me traveling earlier this year.  
 
Look out for next month's product empties. I hope you enjoyed this post. Please comment down below if you have any vegan and cruelty free alternatives to the products mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment