Monday, March 3, 2014

Trip to North Carolina Part One

Trip to North Carolina Part One
 
Last view of our street in Louisiana
Sitting in the car for hours at a time is not fun at all. Thursday was a day of running around fast to get nowhere. After packing hurriedly, we got in the car and just drove. By we, I mean my Dad. I was sitting in the front seat jamming to the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, the Sensations, Frank Sinatra, and Bob Dylan. After I read aloud some from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, my Dad remembered a story called Oil of Dog by Ambrose Bierce. It is probably one of the most messed up stories I have ever read in the English language (I've read some really strange short stories in Spanish... there was this one about a woman with a crab living in her leg... totally messed up people).

 Spoiler Alert! DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH
It is about this boy who helps his father boil down dogs and his mother dispose of "unwelcome babes". Yup... just hold it. What?! Boiling down animals and disposing of aborted or killed babies! It gets worse. He then inadvertently causes his parents to start boiling down babies which escalates to adults. Then they are told they can't do it anymore, so they kill each other. Yup, that is the story. Totally messed up.
SPOILERS FINISHED

So, after that exciting, lighthearted reading material, I continued to read some Sherlock Holmes.
Yeah.. my brain needed a break.

My parents at the Alabama welcome center
We got to the Hotel at Auburn and had a lovely dinner at the restaurant downstairs. I think I inadvertently ate some dairy in the salad dressing on the arugula salad. My tummy was pretty upset afterwards. It was either that or the bread. I had a wonderful pizza that they modified for me. It was fig, pear and arugula (minus the Alabama goat cheese and parmesan) and was really fantastic. The fig spread made it nice and sweet and the arugula kept it slightly spicy.

Arugula, Pear, and Fig Spread Pizza
On Friday, I woke up at the crack of dawn because I left the heater on all night so my throat was like sandpaper. I inadvertently woke my parents up and we decided to start the day. We ate in the hotel (Potatoes, a bagel, honeydew, a really nasty granny smith apple, watermelon juice, and orange juice were my vegan findings) and started the rest of our journey.

I finished reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and began The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I really love the way Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writes. It is stuffed with the most beautiful and descriptive adjectives.  I love adjectives. They help me form a mental picture of the words I read so I can view the film of the story in my head. Do others do this as well? I've always wondered. I know I have a really active imagination and I put that to good use when I do my character subtext for songs I perform, but I always assumed everyone sees mental movies when they read. I think this is why I never liked reading magazines like Cosmo or gossip magazines. I don't like how dull they are and the mental movies are boring. The same with some of the Young Adult Paranormal Teen Romances that seem to be the craze right now. They are so beige. I want fire engine red!

So... ahem. I read a whole bunch of Sherlock Holmes stories while listening to my ipod playlist "Dance Trance Electro Pop" and was super glad that the car ride was drawing to a close. We got into Hendersonville in the daylight, so we went grocery shopping and took naps when we got home. I was super tired, but then unable to fall asleep when it was actually time for bed. All that sitting in the car makes me super antsy.

That's all for now. Be sure to catch the next part of my trip in a few days! They will be picture heavy!

No comments:

Post a Comment