Monday, January 12, 2015

Body Image and Weight

Hello All!

It has been a while since I have done a "deep thinking" type post. This one is about body image and weight.

To start off, I want to state a few facts about myself. I'm 5' 9" . I weigh 270 pounds . I have been dancing since I was four. I am very comfortable with how my body looks.

I have had people tell me that I need to cover my arms because people don't want to see them.

Let's take a step back here... OTHER PEOPLE want ME to cover my arms because OTHER PEOPLE are offended by their appearance. I think my arms look fine.  I get hot easily, so I wear sleeveless shirts . I don't wear skin-tight clothing (actually I prefer loose clothing because it Keeps me cool), I don't wear terribly revealing clothing either, SO what's the problem.

I would say that I have a good body image, meaning I can accurately see how I appear . I Know that I am overweight. I know that I need to lose about 100 Pounds. I also Know that I can still dance circles around many people out there.

This doesn't mean that other people should be able to dictate how I should feel about what I wear. I wear things that make me feel good. End of story.

One of the most insulting backhanded compliments I have received is: You are too good a dancer (singer, actress , etc.) to look the way you do.

What does my appearance have to do with how I sound, or how I comunicate an emotion to an audience ? It shouldn't matter. But it does.

Thanks for that, by the way. I'm glad you think I am better than my appearance led you to believe.

I guess my point is that I'm tired of other people assuming I have a warped body image because I am fat. My body Image is fine. Thank you for your concern.

Talk at y'all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment